Irving Block Prison

...Memphis' Notorious Civil War Prison

 
 
Irving Block Prison 1864



During the Civil War, this row of office buildings on Second Street, opposite the northeast corner of Court Square had been a Confederate hospital.   After the fall of Memphis in 1862, the Union Army turned it into a Civil War Prison to house Confederate sympathizers.  As a prison, conditions became so deplorable that even the prison commandant was dismissed in 1864, but he was re-instated at the request of General Grant.   The prison had become known as "the filthiest place ever occupied by human beings".   It was so notorious that it was eventually closed by order of President Lincoln himself.

The 1864 report to Lincoln stated,  "...the prison which is used for the detention of citizens, prisoners of war on their way to the North and the United Sates soldiers awaiting trial and which is located in a large block of stores is represented as the filthiest place the inspector ever saw occupied by human beings.  The whole management and government of the prison could not be worse!  Discipline and order are unknown.  Food sufficient but badly served.  In a dark wet cellar I found twenty-eight prisoners chained to a wet floor, where they had been constantly confined, many of them for several months, one since November 16, 1863, and are not for a moment released even to relieve the calls of nature.  With a single exception these men have had no trial"

 

 Click on small photos to enlarge them. 

         

At one time  - a marker

The buildings - 1911

The buildings in Postcard

The buildings - 1907   

The buildings - 1937
 
 
   Forrest's Raid on the Irving Block

Major General Nathan Bedford Forrest became obsessed with freeing prisoners from Irving Block Prison, and it was upper most in his mind when he made a daring raid on the Union-held city in 1864.  His raid had three objectives:  to capture three Union generals posted in the city; to release Southern prisoners from Irving Block Prison; and to cause the recall of Union forces from Northern Mississippi.  He struck early in the morning but didn't find the generals, although one, Major General Washburn made his escape to Fort Pickering in his night shirt.  Union troops were also able to prevent the attack on Irving Block Prison.  Although the raid failed in two of Forrest's objectives, he was successful in influencing Union forces to return to Memphis from northern Mississippi, thus providing the city more protection.

   

 

On the roster of "Civil War Union Prisoner of War Camps", Irving Block is noted as a Type 3 Prison (Old Building converted to Prison).  Maximum prisoners 582, 1 escape*, 3 deaths.  The building was relatively new, having been constructed in 1860 and was an early example of the use of cast iron in Memphis.  After President Lincoln ordered Irving Prison shut down, the block of buildings were re-structured again as downtown offices.  After the war, the heirs of the building submitted a bill to the US Government for the use of and damages to the building.    >

The Irving Block building was in use until 1937 when it was demolished.  It's not known if the building was demolished because of its past history or if it was simply another  "business as usual, Memphis demolition".

        *

Escapes:  Real or legend?  
     
 

Confirmed :  Rev Reuben Burrow, June 20, 1863  >

     
 

Captain M. A. Miller  >

     
 

Friederich "Fritz"  Lilie  >

     
 

Lieutenant Charles Lewis  >

     

       


Credits

 

The Historic-Memphis website does not intentionally post copyrighted photos and material without permission or credit.  On occasion a "non-credited" photo might possibly be posted because we were unable to find a name to give credit.  Because of the nature of our non-commercial, non-profit, educational website, we strongly believe that these photos would be considered "Fair Use.  We have certainly made no monetary gain, although those using this website for historic or Genealogy research have certainly profited.  If by chance, we have posted your copyrighted photo, please contact us, and we'll remove it immediately, or we'll add your credit if that's your choice.  In the past, we have found that many photographers volunteer to have their works included on these pages and we'll  also do that if you contact us with a photo that fits a particular page. 

 

The "Historic-Memphis" website would like to acknowledge and thank the following for their contributions which helped make this website possible:  Memphis Public Library, Memphis University Library, Memphis Law Library, Memphis Commercial Appeal, Memphis Press Scimitar, Shelby County Register of Deeds, Memphis City Schools, Memphis Business Men's Club, Memphis Chamber of Commerce, Memphis City Park Commission, Memphis Film Commision, Carnival Memphis, Memphis Historical Railroad Page, Memphis Heritage Inc, Beale Street Historic District, Cobblestone Historic District, Memphis Historic Districts, Vance Lauderdale Family Archives, Tennessee State Archives, Library of Congress, Kemmons Wilson Family, Richard S. Brashier, Lee Askew, George Whitworth, Woody Savage and many individuals whose assistance is acknowledged on the pages of their contributions.  Special thanks to Memphis Realtor, Joe Spake, for giving us carte blanche access to his outstanding collection of contemporary Memphis photos.

We do not have high definition  copies of the photos on these pages.  If anyone wishes to secure high definition photos,  you'll have to contact the photographer  or the collector.  (To avoid any possibility of contributing to SPAM, we do not maintain a file of email addresses for anyone who contacts us).

 

historic-memphis.com