1874 Newspaper Article about the opening of Clay School
 - the first all brick school building "for the colored children of Memphis"


Memphis schools at this time were named for the street where they were located - a policy that continued up to 1911.  The new Clay School would soon be re-named Kortrecht School and later Kortrecht High School.  Virtually every black student in Memphis would be an alumnus of Kortrecht. 



Click here to continue to Page 2