CRISP'S GAIETY   .   NEW MEMPHIS   .   MEMPHIS   .   LEUBRIE's
 
NEW MEMPHIS THEATRE 82 Jefferson Av
 

Theatre




MEMPHIS, NEW MEMPHIS, CRISP'S GAIETY and LEUBRIE'S are all associated with the 82 Jefferson address.  For a very long time, the theatre building at 82 Jefferson was considered the most important theatre of Memphis and more often than not, it was written about as "The Old Memphis" even when the article might be about "The New Memphis" or "Leubries Theatre".  That practice created major problems for  the modern day historian.


To further confuse the issue, there was already ANOTHER "Memphis" Theatre at 18 Washington Avenue, and when this "New Memphis" Theater opened, the first Memphis Theatre  soon began calling  itself the "Old Memphis".

 
 

The 5 photos below show the "possible" Theatre Building at 82 Jefferson, corner of Main.  The entrance would have been around the corner on Jefferson.  The name of this theatre changed almost every time a new manager took over or when the theatre was renovated.  The sequence of names was Crisp's Gaiety .  New Memphis Theatre  .  Memphis Theatre  .   Leubrie's Theatre .  New Memphis Theatre.  It's no wonder that the newspapers gave up and simply referred to it as "The old Memphis Theatre",  But of course that caused more confusion with that OTHER "Old Memphis" Theatre on Washington.

 
 

       Theatre  1920's

  Theatre 1920's

Theatre - 1920's

Theatre Bldg

Main-Jefferson today

   
 
  
 

 

CRISP'S GAIETY THEATRE . Listed in the 1857-59 Memphis Directories.   The Jefferson theatre was originally constructed in 1857 by James Wickersham and opened briefly as the "New Memphis Theatre".   He built the lavishly decorated theatre at a cost of $40,000 and it was the first Memphis building constructed for the sole purpose of a theatre.   It was soon leased by W. H. Crisp who re-opened the new theatre under the name of "Crisp's Gaiety Theatre.  It was very successful in its inaugural year and famed opera diva Jenny Lind first sang in Memphis at Crisp's Gaiety.  After a short tenure Crisp left Memphis by 1960 to enlist in the Confederate army. 

    W. H. Crisp  

Before leasing the "New Memphis" Theatre, W. H. Crisp had previously been associated with another theatre on Washington Avenue between Main and Front.  Of course its name was "Memphis".   (Are you confused, yet?) 

 

Jenny Lind

Crisp's Opens - 1857

Ad - 1857

Nashville 1858

Nashville 1858

Ad - 1859

 

William H. Crisp was married to Eliza, also an actor.  Together they traveled to theatres in Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas.  William generally managed-leased the theatres and they both performed.  They had a son, Charles F. Crisp.   Although Charles was born in England, he eventually settled in Georgia with his parents.   Acting was not a career choice for him.  He became a prominent politician ... Congressman from Georgia and Speaker of the House.  The letter (below) was written by William to his son, Charles in 1854.  It is in the collection of Francis J. Crown, Jr., who has shared it with this website.

 

Eliza Crisp
 

Crisp Bulletin 1860

Detail 1960

Crisp Envelope 1854

Crisp Letter

 Letter, page 2

Crisp's son

 

And the "Memphis" Theatre on Washington?  During most of 1857 they continued using the name "Memphis".  But toward the end of the year they added their manager's name, "Ash's Memphis Theatre".  In 1858 for the first time, they added street names.  And toward the end of 1959, after the Crisp's Gaiety name reverted back to the original "New Memphis", they began calling themselves "Old Memphis Theatre"

 

1857 - Memphis

1857 - Ash's

1857-Ash's

1858 - Streets

1858 -Streets

1858 Ash's Old

1859 - Old

 

After the opening of the "New Memphis", the "Old Memphis" Theatre on Washington gradually declined.  They experimented with German Theatre, briefly changing their name to "German Theatre" and then back to "Old Memphis".   By 1865, the theatre changed its name to "National" and then for the rest of its history had a different name about every 2 years - but never "Memphis" again.  *

 

1859 German

1860

1861

 
 
         
 

NEW MEMPHIS THEATRE . The  "New Memphis" is listed from 1860-1872 at 82 Jefferson.    In 1860 the Jefferson Av theatre was taken over by C. W. Thompson who changed the name back to the original "New Memphis" .  The third season opened at the theatre but was swiftly closed by the outbreak of the Civil War.  Between 1866 and 1868 performances began again, but the theatre had financial difficulties, made more difficult by Thompson's death.  His widow took over but it proved too difficult for her.  The 1862 - 1866 newspaper ads (below),  are  the earliest we have found.  One is for Laura Keene in "The Poor of New York" - in the 3rd week of performances. 

 

82 Jefferson Bldg

82 Jefferson Bldg -1909

Daily Appeal Story and Poster 1862

1862 Daily

1865 Daily

 

1865

1866 Ledger

Appeal 1866

1866 Ad

Laura Keene

1866 Ad

 

Pasquel Brignoli

Angiolina Ghioni

Peak Family Swiss Bell Ringers

Charlotte Thompson

Edwin Adams

 

      1867 1867 Review

 Daily 1868

Daily App 1869

Daily 1869

Daily 1869

Shares 1871

   

The New Memphis Theatre tickets (below) are very rare.  They are for the Memphis Mardi Gras.  Holders of  tickets were invited to a "Tableaux Presentation" at the theatre and then stayed for a grand ball afterwards.  It's not known why these 1874-1878 tickets are printed with "New Memphis" because these dates would actually make them "Memphis" tickets.  Just a little more added to the confusion.

 

1874 Ticket         

1875 Ticket

1877 Ticket

1878 Ticket

 
       
 
 

MEMPHIS THEATRE . The Memphis Theatre is listed in the Memphis directories in 1876-1878 - at 82 Jefferson.  After a renovation the name was changed to "Memphis" .  Spaulding and Bidwell leased the theatre around 1871.  They remodeled and added boxes and improved the gas lighting system.  They also added a beautiful new chandelier.  They renamed the theatre  "Memphis" and it opened as "one of the best in the south".  Some of the great names of the time began appearing here.  Yellow Fever outbreaks had major effects on the theatre attendance, but it hung on, mainly because it provided a valuable escape from the problems of everyday life.  But these lean times resulted in unpaid taxes and in 1878, the theatre was sold to brothers Lou and Ellis Leubrie for $10,100.
 


The available information about the Memphis Theatre is confusing to historians because the newspapers weren't too helpful.  They referred to the theatre as "The Memphis", "The New Memphis" and "The Old Memphis", sometimes in the same article.   The photo on the right is identified as "The Memphis".  Since the date is 1875, it must be "The Memphis" on Jefferson.

 

The Memphis 1875

 

82 Jefferson - today

Bldg - Night

Memphis Daily 1870

1871

1871

 

    1872 Ad

1873

Civil Rights. - 1875

Open  -. NY Spirit -1875

Ticket 1877-78

 

Horace Greeley

John G. Saxe

John Sousa

Milton Nobles

Satsuma's Troupe

        "Jim Bludso"

 

1875 1876 1876 1877 1877 Review

1878 Review

 

Mrs. Moulton

Edwin Adams Dr. J.J. Villers Georgia Minstresls Mrs. D.P.Bowers Tom Thumb

Marie Aimee

 
 
 
 

LEUBRIE'S THEATRE . Listed in the Memphis Directory in 1880-1886 at 82 Jefferson.  The Leubrie Brothers, Jacob, Louis, and Ellis, bought the Memphis Theater in 1879 and changed the name to Leubrie's Theatre.  They owned the theatre for 5 successful years.  The new manager was Joseph Brooks, assisted by Frank Gray, who would later manage the Lyceum Theatre.  The management team brought all sorts of different acts  to the city, including magic shows, lectures, literary figures such as Oscar Wilde, and famous actors like Lillie Langtry and Mrs. Scott-Siddons.  Sarah Bernhardt's first American tour played there in 1880-81.  It was indeed "the leading theatre of Memphis" for the next decade, attributed somewhat to the fact that it had no major rival in the city.  Between 1885 and 1886, Brooks again remodeled the theatre and increased the seating capacity to 1200 seats and the size of the stage to 45 x 37. 

By 1886 the Leubrie's business fortune reversed and they were compelled to sell.  Once again the theatre name changed to the "New Memphis Theatre".

 

< Very Rare 1885 Leubrie's Program - with Carrie Keating Concert  >

1885 Review

Carrie Keating

Richard Arnold

 

Joseph Brook

Frank Gray

Bernhardt 1880-81

Oscar Wilde 1882

Lillie Langtry

Mrs. Scott-Siddons

 
       

NY Mirror 1878

Theatre sold - 1879

Theatre sold - 1879

Invitation-ticket-1880

Leubrie's ad 1880

 
 

NY Spirit 1881

NY Mirror 1882

NY Mirror - 1882

NY Mirror 1884

NY Mirror 1885

1885 Remodel

 
 

 

1882 Notice

NY Mirror 1888

 

Leubries promotion

Leubrie Bros graves

 
 



NEW MEMPHIS THEATRE .
 In 1887 the name goes full circle -  back to "New Memphis"
The name changed back to "New Memphis Theatre" from 1887 to 1891.  In September of 1891, the theatre hosted the play "Below Zero" and after midnight, a fire broke out and the building burned.  That was the end of the theatre at 82 Jefferson...

Theatre Bldg 1920

 

 

Mirror 1887-88

Flood Relief 1888

NY Spirit 1888

NY Mirror 1888

NY Mirror 1890

NY Mirror 1990

 

FIRE 1891

FIRE 1891

FIRE 1891

FIRE 1891

Theatre Bldg 1924

 
 

In 2016 we came across this interesting TRADING CARD for the "Memphis Theatre" which features the play "Oh!  What a Night".  Actor Gus Williams toured this play from 1885 to 1888 and it stopped in Memphis on 3 different dates.  The trading card refers to a performance in 1877- placing it at The "NEW Memphis".   The Card is printed with "Memphis Theatre" and the 1887 newspaper item (below)  just gave up and called it "The Theatre".  The play also appeared here in 1885.  Of the three 1885 newspaper items, one lists it at "Leubries Theatre", the 2nd lists it at "Memphis Theatre", and the third  lists it as "The Memphis".

 

Gus Williams 1887 "Theatre" 1885 "Leubrie's Theatre" 1885 "Memphis Theatre"

1885" Memphis"

         

 

 

We've tried to clarify any confusion about the Memphis Theatre on Jefferson and the Memphis Theatre on Washington.  What we haven't brought up is there was a THIRD theater, also on Jefferson, across the street from the 82 Jefferson theater.  Fortunately it was never named Memphis, so it can be covered on another page.

 
 
           
Actor James Booth Roberts - 1852 letter from a "Memphis Theatre"...
 

This rare 1852 letter was written by actor James Booth Roberts while he was appearing at a Memphis Theatre.  He is writing to the manager of a new St. Louis Theatre about future work.  We have not been able to confirm the Memphis Theatre where the actor was appearing, but it almost had to be either "Crisp's Gaiety" or "The Memphis" Theatre.   Historically, the letter is important in showing the early acting profession, before agents, and we thought it should be published.   It's also a verification that well known, established actors appeared very early in Memphis on a regular basis.   

 

James B. Roberts 1865

1852 Letter

Roberts Obit1901

Roberts-later years

Roberts Bio 1901    

 

The letter was written to George T. Collins before the opening of his People's Theatre in St. Louis:

"If you have an opening I shall be happy to play with you for Six or Twelve nights; besides the Legitimate, I have everything complete for the Corsican Brothers which I have played with the greatest success in Pittsburgh, Chicago & and am now getting it ready here. With a very little expense it will run a week or more. Be pleased to let me hear from you at your earliest leisure, and if favorable, state when I can open, what certainly you can offer, or what amount you will share after nightly with a half clear Benefit on the Sixth night."

 
 
 

* The FIRST Memphis Theatre and others are on another page of this website >  Click here

 
 

   
   
   
 

Credits

 

The Historic-Memphis website does not intentionally post copyrighted photos and material without permission or credit.  On occasion a "non-credited" photo might possibly be posted because we were unable to find a name to give credit.  Because of the nature of our non-commercial, non-profit, educational website, we strongly believe that these photos would be considered "Fair Use.  We have certainly made no monetary gain, although those using this website for historic or Genealogy research have certainly profited.  If by chance, we have posted your copyrighted photo, please contact us, and we'll remove it immediately, or we'll add your credit if that's your choice.  In the past, we have found that many photographers volunteer to have their works included on these pages and we'll  also do that if you contact us with a photo that fits a particular page. 

 

The "Historic-Memphis" website would like to acknowledge and thank the following for their contributions which helped make this website possible:  Memphis Public Library, Memphis University Library, Memphis Law Library, Memphis Commercial Appeal, Memphis Press Scimitar, Shelby County Register of Deeds, Memphis City Schools, Memphis Business Men's Club, Memphis Chamber of Commerce, Memphis City Park Commission, Memphis Film Commission, Carnival Memphis, Memphis Historical Railroad Page, Memphis Heritage Inc, Beale Street Historic District, Cobblestone Historic District, Memphis Historic Districts, Vance Lauderdale Family Archives, Tennessee State Archives, Library of Congress, Kemmons Wilson Family, Richard S. Brashier, Lee Askew, George Whitworth, Woody Savage and many individuals whose assistance is acknowledged on the pages of their contributions.  Special thanks to Memphis Realtor, Joe Spake, for giving us carte blanche access to his outstanding collection of contemporary Memphis photos.

We do not have high definition  copies of the photos on these pages.  If anyone wishes to secure high definition photos,  you'll have to contact the photographer  or the collector.  (To avoid any possibility of contributing to SPAM, we do not maintain a file of email addresses for anyone who contacts us).

 
 
   

Historic Memphis Website